Tuesday 31 March 2015

Interview with Jack Burnford - Director of The Classic Car Show and Fifth Gear

Jack, thank you for agreeing to be interviewed. 

My first question is what got you into cars?

JB: I think I’m really into cars because of my dad really. He’s always been a bit of a petrol head and it rubbed off on me at quite an early age. We used to go to the motorshow and car events together & then when i was 11 he bought a 1971 Porsche 914 for about £1100. I couldn't believe he actually owned a Porsche! It was a wreck but he did it up and I ‘helped'  - although looking back I probably didn't help at all, but that’s why I've got a 914 now and probably why i’m as into it as I am.

You have directed Fifth Gear and The Classic Car Show. How did you get into those jobs?

JB: Years and years of hard work! I started as work experience on Top Gear back in 2003 and made my way though the tv ranks a bit at the BBC and some independent companies. I left TV after a few years and did some corporate work then I managed to get on the 2006 Gumball Rally. Off the back of that I was given a shot at directing a test commercial for Addison Lee and that’s how i got into directing. I tried to do as much car stuff as possible but its super competitive - Then The Classic Car Show came along… the Series Producer was an ex colleague of mine from Top Gear, and someone I’d always kept in touch with. Working on that show you make a lot of good friends and it was him who gave me a break I might never have got otherwise. After finishing on TCCS my showreel was good enough to get me in front of the Series Producer of 5th Gear and they gave me a job there!

How were the cars, articles and locations chosen for The Classic Car Show as there are so many possibilities? Is this the same process as Fifth Gear?

JB: The good thing about making car shows is that your continually being given new things to make films about! But then obviously its hard having to think of new ways to show them…
On 5th Gear the majority of films are about high power cars so a track is the obvious place to test them.
On TCCS we wanted to try and keep a broad perspective - we wanted a cross section from £5k heroes to the Ferrari California and everything in between. We were aiming to make a show that would appeal to the Top Gear audience, petrol heads, classic enthusiasts and everyone in between. Obviously you cant please everyone but by having a very broad spectrum of classic cars and events we hoped we’d keep the appeal broad enough.
When you’ve decided on the car then a lot of time the location follows. The MGB for example was only ever going to be shot in the English Countryside. I struggled with what to do for the 911 however. I could have filmed that in an urban location at night (like Magnus Walker) or on a race track. It could go anywhere - so I decided to go for the Isle of Wight. Epic backgrounds- great roads. I remember being on the ferry home feeling a little guilty as we were a big crew and simply because I had made this one decision to film on the IoW then about 10 grown men had had to stay away from home for a couple of days, away from their families just because I thought it might look nice.  But then I saw the footage. And I thought it was worth it - I loved the 911 film.
Budget is also an issue - Top Gear can afford to do pretty much whatever they want. We can't - we can't afford to spend a morning at a track and then pay to go somewhere else or pay too much for location fees because we just don't have the budget. We also have to pay a lot of money for stock footage…

Have you had any problems with the cars during filming of The Classic Car Show?

JB: Unfortunately yes!! We had a couple of cars break down- the TR7 had engine trouble and the Lotus Esprit had brake problems, both of which could have being the end of the film.. However we use a tracking drive called Peter who is fantastic. He’s lso a trained mechanic so he has helped us out of trouble a load of times. Putting the 911 in place for the statics at The Needles on the IoW, behind a safety fence a few feet from a massive drop was very delicate work - but he managed it!


As an aside… an editor I worked with on 5th gear was on holiday on IoW and was riding the chair lift as QW was doing his piece to camera!!

Do you prefer classic cars or modern cars?

JB: Tough question - I love them both. I feel more self conscious driving a modern supercar. I drove the Lamborghini Huracan in South Africa and didn't feel that cool even though everyone looked at the car. It is extremely fast, and striking looking.. but I think i would have felt cooler in a classic Ferrari. There is also a friendliness that comes with classics. 9 out of 10 times when I fill up with petrol in my 914 someone will say something nice about the car, or come and have a chat about it. However - I also have Range Rover  and I love it. It is an incredible car, totally amazing. I don't think I would want to be a classic car daily driver.

How was it working with the presenters of 5th Gear and TCCS?

JB: One of the best things about my job is working with a range of really talented and cool people. It can be tough working with someone new for the first time, whether thats the cameraman, the soundman or the presenter but with all of them, once you get a feel for how they like to work then life gets easier. Its also a trust thing- especially with the presenters. Once you’ve made a few films with them that they like, they begin to trust you more (hopefully!) which means they are more relaxed and confident on camera as they know you are doing a good job behind the lens.  I dont think Jodie will ever let me forget telling her she wasn’t going home until I’d got 25 up and by’s in the Ferrari California - she brings that up pretty much every time I see her…

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. 

I now invite the presenters of The Classic Car Show to be interviewed for my blog.

3 comments: