Sunday 7 August 2022

Ferrari 458 Italia at Castle Combe, a Car Chase Heroes Drive


My final drive of the day would be the Ferrari 458 Italia. You can't drive supercars and not have a go in a Ferrari. The last time I drove a Ferrari was a manual 360 Modena, when I'd finished driving it I felt like I'd been to the gym.
This Ferrari 458 comes with a naturally aspirated 4.5 litre V8 engine that produces 562bhp and a top speed of 202mph. It has a dual clutch 7 speed gearbox and it's rear wheel drive. 
In my opinion this is also one of the best looking modern supercars.
 



I get into the 458 and I'm joined for this trip around Castle Combe by Sami. I get comfortable and get used to this where everything is. A lot of the controls are on the steering wheel. Everything from the lights to the engine settings can be found on this wheel. To start the 458, put the key in the ignition to turn the 458's electrics on, foot on the brake then press the engine start button and the engine comes to life. Pull the right hand paddle to engage first gear, take your foot off the brake and accelerate gently as I head towards the pit exit.



I have a clear track so it's foot down and up to third, fourth and fifth, the lights on top of the steering wheel telling me when to change gear. Making my way to Avon Rise I pass a stricken Aston Martin Vantage and General Lee that are off the racing line. I then brake and change gear back down to third to turn into Quarry corner, Once out of Quarry it was back on the power and up through fourth, fifth and sixth and down the farm straight towards the Esses, the 458's V8 engine is screaming behind me. Break and change to third for the tight chicane is the Esses. Back on the power and up to fourth round the Old Paddock Band and Hammerdown before going back down to third for Tower Corner, Once through this tight corner, back on the power and then break for the next tight chicane Bobbies.
Once through this chicane back on the power up Westway then onto the Dean Straight before braking and changing down to third for Bybrook and then back on the power through Camp Corner and flat out towards the start finish straight heading towards Folly. 



This car is phenomenal. The acceleration is quick as you'd expect from an engine that produces 562bhp and the V8 scream is a joy to hear. You cannot imagine how well this car handles and the steering is razor sharp, you feel very connected to the track. You would have to be careful of this on everyday roads until you got used to it.
I was asked if  I'd like extra time in this car, my answer was hell yes. more time meant more smiles and more memories.


I set out on this day to drive a set of sports and supercars to bring myself up to date and to see if what's been written before is true. I would say, if you can and are able to, have a go and judge for yourself.
Each of them has different things that make them amazing cars to drive as well as things that make them not the easiest cars to live with.
The cars had their own personalities:
Evo X - The family sports car that's up for a bit of every kind of driving. 
Superlegera - Your mate at the pub who is generally happy but will hurt you if you spill a drop of their drink.
Aston Marin - The one you would take for a high brow job interview or party.
Huracan - A close friend you can rely on.
720S - The track day athlete.
458 - The all rounder for the road and track.
I would like to thank all of the staff at Car Chase Heroes for making me feel welcome and the instructors for their time and expertise helping me to maximise my driving.
Also a thank you to the staff at Castle Combe for having and maintaining a fantastic track.




No comments:

Post a Comment