Sunday 7 January 2024

Mercedes AMG GT Drive with Car Chase Heroes


Time to add another GT heavyweight to the list of cars to drive. This time was the turn of the Mercedes AMG GT. Any of you that follow any of the GT motorsport championships will know that these cars are always at the sharp end of the field and winning races. This car is distinctive and looks fantastic. It comes armed with a 4.0 litre twin turbo V8 engine that produces 523 horsepower and a top speed of 202mph. The gearbox is a  7 speed dual-clutch automatic. All of this power on a wet track could prove to be interesting.  
Since arriving at the track I had seen this car being taken out by an instructor for a few laps and then taking to a maintenance area for inspection, this happened a few times. I was then called to jump in the Mercedes.



Getting in the Mercedes was snug and the seat felt comfortable. The display was clear and easy to understand. I asked the instructor what was going on with it and he explained that last time out the Merc blew a piston through the rest of the engine and had been withdrawn from that event. It had a new engine fitted and this was the first time out with a new engine.
The instructor said, this engine is 30 laps old, lets enjoy it.


With my foot on the break, I press the start button and the engine growls into life. I pull the right up lever into first, foot off the break and make my way onto the track.
I slowly increase my way up the gearbox as the track is very wet.



Making my way around the track you can understand why these cars have racked up a stack of victories in the GT3 and GT4 classes. This car has huge acceleration and the engine sounds fabulous. Along with this, the gearbox feels seamless changing up and down when you want to and the handling on a wet track was great. I was nervous to begin with but after a a few corners I knew there was nothing to worry about.
Going offline to overtake other vehicles was effortless and with the power on the straights made it easy.



All too soon it was time to head back t the paddock and hand the car back, This is one I would love to take around a dry track to see what it can really do.

For further information about Car Chase Heroes including their fleet of cars and locations you can drive them, please visit







 

No comments:

Post a Comment