Wednesday 27 July 2016

Chateau Impney Hill Climb



On Sunday 10th of July, I attended the Hill Climb event at Chateau Impney in Droitwich. Set in 110 acres of parkland this stunning building provides a wonderful backdrop for a hill climb. Over 200 competitors with a wide range in vehicles from the 1919 Fiat S76 (aka The Beast of Turin) to the 1959 Aston Martin DBR1. Others marques taking to the hill include Ferrari, Bentley, Riley, Austin, Bugatti, ERA, Alfa Romeo, Cooper, Porsche, Darracq and a steam car from 1905 called Whistling Billy.
I made an early start to ensure I got to the event just as the gates opened and I was not disappointed. Upon arrival you could see marquees for food and drink, a fun fair and a decent amount of trade stands selling everything from books and clothes to oil for your classic car.
As I made my way to the paddock, everyone I greeted was very warm and welcoming. Walking around the paddock and taking photos, I was suprised to see such a variety of vehicles. I took my time especially when I got to the vintage cars and relished being able to be so close to these cars. Making my way around the paddock I eventually got to the H&H Auction room and the Footman James 
Concours D'Elegance area and took photos. Making my way back to the main paddock area I saw Duncan Pittway the drive of the Beast of Turin, Mark Walker, the driver of the Darracq 200Hp and Richard Scaldwell, the driver of the Lorraine Dietrich 130Hp Course and made my way over to see them. All three drivers were very welcoming and very easy to talk to. They had time for everybody that wanted to speak to them. I watched as they went through the process of starting their cars, some easier than others. I then went to find a spot to watch the Hill Climb. I settled for a spot at the Paddock Esses. There I had a great view of the cars speeding up the hill and slowing to take the corners. I chatted with  lots of people and some of the drivers that had made their way to where I was stationed. Everyone had the same opinion that the Chateau Impney Hill Climb has a lovely atmosphere. The drivers said that they enjoyed the course. After the mornings racing had finished it was time for some lunch and to watch the parachute display and make my goodbyes to the staff I had met and to Duncan, Richard and Mark as I did not want to bother them when they were packing up and trying to leave.
I would like to thank everyone from the staff at the Chateau, the event staff, the marshals and drivers for making the Chateau Impney Hill Climb a truly brilliant day. I would recommend anyone that loves classic or vintage cars to go. For further information please visit 






























































































































































H&H Auction Cars


























Concours Cars











Hill Climb action





















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment