Friday 29 July 2022

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera at Castle Combe, a Car Chase Heroes Drive

My second drive of the day was the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera. This is one of 618 of the Supperleggera's to be made. This car comes equipped with a 5.2 litre V10 engine that produces 530bhp and a top speed of 202mph. The gearbox is Lamborghini's robotised sequential e-gear system.



I get in without any issues and get acquainted with the cockpit. I like the orange details around the black interior and the matching orange stitching in the seats. I put my left foot out of the way as I will not be using a clutch.  My instructor for this car is Josh, he gets in and informs me that there was a bit of a delay of me driving the car due to overheating, after each session the engine has been opened up and allowed to cool and all the vital levels are checked to make sure the car is driveable.
I put my foot on the brake, turn the key and the Superleggera roars into life.
I pull the right paddle towards me to engage first gear and slowly make my way out of the pit area.


Josh then warns me that in order to change gear, I have to lift of the accelerator before changing gear then back on the gas once the gear has changed up.
The track is clear and it's time to floor the accelerator. As I do, the V10 screams as it send the power to the wheels, I change gear and realise that this car has a really naff gearbox.


Making my way to Avon Rise changing gears and jolting when the gears change before braking and back down to third to turn into Quarry corner, Once out of Quarry it was back on the power and up through fourth and fifth and down the Farm Straight towards the Esses, the Superleggera's engine is screaming and then when you break change down it makes a high pitch growl. Break and change to third for the tight chicane is the Esses. Back on the power and up to fourth round the Old Paddock Band and Hammerdown before going back down to third for Tower Corner, Once through this tight corner, back on the power and then break for the next tight chicane Bobbies.
Once through this chicane back on the power up Westway then onto the Dean Straight before braking and changing down to third for Bybrook and then back on the power through Camp Corner and flat out towards the start finish straight heading towards Folly.


Making my way around the track the car is comfortable apart from the gear changes, the acceleration is fast the steering is good and the brakes are sharp. 
One word springs to mind about this car, and it is "raw".
Raw power, raw noise, raw speed, raw grip and it feels like one mistake and the car will turn on you.
Having said that get it right and it is so rewarding and leaves you smiling.
This is a huge step up from the Evo X in the previous post. but it is fun to drive.
Further information can be found at:










No comments:

Post a Comment