Tuesday 26 July 2022

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X at Castle Combe, a Car Chase Heroes Drive


If you follow my blog closely, you will know that the majority of cars I have drive have been classic cars. I've driven a few recent cars but not many. Over the next set of blog posts, the focus of my attention will be on modern sports and supercars.
I booked these drives with Car Chase Heroes and the location I have chosen was Castle Combe as last time was great fun I enjoyed the mixture of flat out areas and the tight turns.
Unbeknownst to me when I booked these drives, it would turn out to be the hottest day of the year so far in 2022 with record breaking temperatures.
After arriving at Castle Combe and booking in, the first thing to do was re-acquaint myself with the track by having some sighting laps.
So once completed, I made my way to the first car the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X.



This car has a 2 litre turbocharged engine that produces 276bhp and has a six speed Twin Clutch Sport Shift Transmission. This car is all wheel drive.
My instructor in this car is a chap called Gary Prebble. Gary knows a thing or two about Castle Combe as he holds the record for the most wins at Castle Combe. He has had many a victory in in Evo X, so I'm in good hands.
To start the car, I put my foot on the break, and turn the key. The car then gives off a series of loud beeps before the engine barks into life. To engage first gear, pull the silver disc on the gear shift up, pull the stick back from park to drive and then pull to the right to activate the paddles.
Pull the right paddle towards you to engage first gear, take your foot off the break and accelerate gently as we are still in the pits and the car begins to move.......phew.


I head to the pit exit, before I reach the exit I move up to second. Out of the pit, I have a clear track so it's foot down and up to third, fourth and fifth. The pit exit is at Folly Corner, making my way to Avon Rise before braking and back down to third to turn into Quarry corner, Once out of Quarry it was back on the power and up through fourth and fifth and down the farm straight towards the Esses, the Evo X's engine making a nice noise. Break and change to third for the tight chicane is the Esses. Back on the power and up to fourth round the Old Paddock Band and Hammerdown before going back down to third for Tower Corner, Once through this tight corner, back on the power and then break for the next tight chicane Bobbies.
Once through this chicane back on the power up Westway then onto the Dean Straight before braking and changing down to third for Bybrook and then back on the power through Camp Corner and flat out towards the start finish straight heading towards Folly. This is the section of the track I like most as you can get up to some high speeds before having to break and change down the gears.


Making my way around the track, it's easy to see why Gary has had success racing this car, it's acceleration is quick and the steering and breaks are sharp. The gearbox on this car is smooth and there is no discomfort or clunkiness when changing gears. There are corners where you can feel the suspension and tyres battling to keep the car balanced and on the tarmac.




For an opening car, this has been a blast, It's quick and the handling is great. I feel that this would be a great car to drive in the wet due to the handling and the all wheel drive. 
This would also make for a great everyday family car for the above reasons as well as plenty of room and a good sized boot.
 For further information, please visit:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment